lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #1902] Timeouts and semaphores/mailboxes are too tight

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #1902] Timeouts and semaphores/mailboxes are too tightly integrated
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:04:35 +0000

OK, dealing with jiffies only in the stack would improve performance, I
think. Since most OSes use them also in their semaphore and mailbox wait
functions, we could also modify the sys_arch_sem_* and sys_arch_mbox_*
functions eliminating the conversion from ms to jiffies in those functions as
well.

Having SYS_ARCH_JIFFIES_TO_MS(jiffies, ms) and SYS_ARCH_MS_TO_JIFFIES(ms,
jiffies) along with SYS_ARCH_MAX_JIFFIES should be enough to ensure easy
porting. The only thing would be that sys_arch_mbox_*/sem_* would have to
deal with OS specific consatns for "wait infinite" / "poll only", the rest
would be directly mapped through.

Only conversion needed would be if sys_mbox_wait_timeout() or something is
called.

For stack internal functions (like in tcpip_thread), this could be expanded
through a define that those timespans are calculated at compile time
already.

Regarding 16-bit timestamps: Can't we simply require 32-bit timestamps?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?1902>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/