lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6833] netif.h: add netif->poll() / create netif_poll

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6833] netif.h: add netif->poll() / create netif_poll_all() to simplify porting
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:43:57 +0000

I had some more in the back of my mind when I wrote this and I agree, that
(besides easier porting) we don't really need it, now.

I was thinking about the following scenario: we could protect all access to
stack-internal functions and modify the socket/netconn API to be configured
call directly into the stack (with locking instead of messages. That way you
could easily use a sequential API without an OS. Only you have to make sure
the netif can input packets when it wants and the timers are called. You can
then call netif_poll_all() & sys_check_timers() to let the stack run a bit.

But as I said, that's an idea for the far future and I'm going to test it in
private, first (if it gives enough performance) and not going to bother the
rest of you with it until I have positive results ;-)

OK, closing this. (Maybe I'll reopen it some time...)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6833>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/