lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #5960] Enable multithread send/recv operations on sa

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #5960] Enable multithread send/recv operations on same socket on TCP netconns
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:09:13 +0000

Follow-up Comment #28, patch #5960 (project lwip):

Lots of separate issues being discussed here, but here is my thoughts on the
big ones:

 - the issue of having poor protection against the application using the same
socket from multiple threads doesn't worry me greatly.  I can see the
situations where it is useful, but for most of these there are application
level solutions that the applications that want this rare behaviour can use.
I'm not against this protection going in to lwIP, but we shouldn't have it at
the top of our list.  Of course, if someone like Frédéric finds it
important, they are free to ignore me and spend as long as they like on it!

 - likewise for the "new higher performance Sockets API".  lwIP's primary
goal is not high performance.  That's not to say that we shouldn't move
towards higher performance, or consider it when making changes, but that it's
lower priority than some of the other pending tasks.  However, again, I'm not
against it and if someone wants to spend the time then I can't stop them!
This should be discussed in a separate task from this one from now on please.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?5960>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/