lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] Comments about "low_level_output"

From: Goldschmidt Simon
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] Comments about "low_level_output"
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:27:10 +0200

>  1/ What do you think that a "low_level_output" function should return
when all "buffers" are full?

ERR_MEM seems good to me.

> 2/ Is it something you do in your ports to "block" inside
low_level_output to wait some space to send? (I don't think, but...)

No.

> 3/ Isn't it something to document anywhere? I think, but where? I
thought to rawpi.txt...

Yes!

> 4/ Should we have to "filter" such "temporary errors" inside do_xxx
functions? (It will add some code, and increase footprint, so, I don't
like that)

I think the real question is "why don't we allow a send if the previous
send went wrong?"

That seemed strange to me when I first looked over the code. More, if I
call netconn_addr() after a send that went wrong, I can always send
again! I think instead of filtering out ERR_MEM, we should somehow
rework the whole conn->err related code.

> My current workaround is to return ERR_OK in the place of ERR_IF in
this case (it's just affect my port, and, after all, a packet could
always be lost in the network...)

That works,  of course, but it's really a workaraound, not a solution.

Simon