lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Outgoing Ping support for LWIP...

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Outgoing Ping support for LWIP...
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:10:08 +0100

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 09:35 -0500, Hiser, Steve wrote:

> I need to utilize outgoing Pings to support trace routing to aid in
> debugging
> network problems in the field. From what I can tell LWIP supports Echo
> Replys
> but does not have support for sending out Echo's. I have downloaded
> the latest
> version of LWIP 1.2.0 to verify this. Am I just missing this, or if
> not, is
> there any future plans to support this or current code elsewhere I
> could
> port.

I think you're right in that the current code doesn't support it.
Normally ICMP echo requests are sent by an application (e.g. "ping" on
unix) using a raw socket.  lwIP doesn't support raw sockets as such.  We
could I suppose extend the lwIP raw API to include an icmp_write() to
match the existing tcp_write() and udp_write().  If you'd like to see
such a feature, feel free to put in a feature-request bug report on
savannah and hope one of the developers will take it up, or if you can
write a patch to implement this, you could submit that and it would
probably get applied pretty quickly.  It's unlikely to make it into the
next 1.3.0 release though.

By the way, the lwip-users mailing list is probably more appropriate in
the first instance for such requests, but don't worry about this one
now!

Kieran