lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] Outgoing Ping support for LWIP...

From: Goldschmidt Simon
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] Outgoing Ping support for LWIP...
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:15:05 +0200

> > I need to utilize outgoing Pings to support trace routing to aid in
> > debugging network problems in the field. From what I can tell LWIP
[...]
> I think you're right in that the current code doesn't support it.
> Normally ICMP echo requests are sent by an application (e.g. "ping" on
> unix) using a raw socket.  lwIP doesn't support raw sockets
> as such.  We could I suppose extend the lwIP raw API to

It doesn't? I thought it would...

Anyway, look at /contrib/ports/unix/proj/unixsim/simhost.c
there is a function ping_send() which sends an icmp packet and uses
raw_new()/raw_recv() to set up a raw callback to filter all received
IP packets, so you receive the ping packet.

> include an icmp_write() to match the existing tcp_write() and
> udp_write().  If you'd like to see such a feature, feel free

We would have no icmp_recv, would we?

Simon.