lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Re: [task #7068] lwIP docs: Update, improve, add documentat

From: address@hidden
Subject: [lwip-devel] Re: [task #7068] lwIP docs: Update, improve, add documentation about using lwIP
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:29:09 +0200

Looks great!

Since I don't know if you've finished working on ARP or not, I'm writing you this instead of changing it myself:

"A network interface that supports ARP will set a flag in its netif <http://lwip.scribblewiki.com/Network_interfaces_management> structure, and all IP packets will first be given to the ARP protocol automatically."

Should be more like:

"A network interface that supports ARP will have set its 'output' function pointer to etharp_output, which automatically calls the netif's 'linkoutput' function pointer to send a complete packet with the correct MAC header"

Or something like that. The flag NETIF_FLAG_ETHARP is really only used to send a "gratuitous ARP" packet (if configured) when the netif goes up, and doesn't control the output.

Other than that, it's fine, although I think RFCs 903 and 2390 are something completely different, but I really don't know since I don't know them... My additions to etharp followed RFC 826, at least.

Great to see lwIP documentation coming so fast!

Simon

Jared Grubb schrieb:

We've been making good progress on the doc project at the Wiki. If you havent
looked at it in a few days, check it out. I have started to go through the
protocols, starting with ARP:

http://lwip.scribblewiki.com/ARP

I have put up a similar outline on all the protocols. I need your help to
describe the "status" of each of these protocols in recent lwIP history. I am
proposing that we have one or two lines about each protocol, as it stands in
both CVS HEAD and in 1.2. If you are ambitious and want to give more history
for 1.1.1, etc, please do!
For example, ARP is marked "STABLE". We could also use language like
"Untested", "Incomplete", etc, for various protocols.

Look around the Wiki, and chime in on some of these protocols. If you want to
chime in but don't want to learn how to edit the pages, you can email me with
your thoughts on the protocols.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7068>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/