lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6735] Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY

From: Frédéric Bernon
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6735] Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:24:07 +0000

>Note that I have some trouble with testing here because I can't test current
CVS - my port is still stuck in the 1.1 dark ages, and that's not likely to
change till 1.3 comes out (or at least the code base has stabilised in
preparation for 1.3 - I'm not in a position to play with unstable code and
changing APIs, so will have to wait at least for a pre-1.3 feature freeze). I
will be backporting this change to my 1.1 code base though.

I think we are already in "pre-1.3.0 freeze" step. Kieran added a new field
in the "bug" tracker to indicate if a task/bug/patch is planned for the 1.3.0
release (the field is "Planned Release", incredible, no? :) ). But currently,
this task is not planned for 1.3.0...

>So any comments before I commit?

Yes, please, don't commit it in 1.3.0 if you can't fully test it.

>Let me know if you think the existence of the PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY type of pbuf
should be controlled by an option.

I didn't have yet see all the details of your patch file, but if adding this
new option don't make mandatory to change ethernet drivers, so, an option is
not necessary to my point of view... I see than mainly like an optimization
possible for netconn api/raw api users, I am wrong?)

>and I know Simon is itching to use NOCOPY pbufs in generic core code as it
is,

Yes, but if we continue with such changes, it will be difficult to terminate
1.3.0... It could be a "never-ending story" !!! :)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6735>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/