lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6994] Redesign Socket Layer with LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOC

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6994] Redesign Socket Layer with LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOCKING
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:29:43 +0000

> Perhaps select should also be in the LWIP_POSIX_SOCKETS_IO_NAMES
> part of sockets.h ? Why not?

That might be a good solution if someone really wants to use select on files
also.

> Is what you say is that a handle can't be a pointer? Why? Is
> there lot of environements where "int" and "pointer" don't have
> same size ? Perhaps some old ones?

What about windows on 64-bit platforms? Isn't an int 32-bit there while a
pointer is 64-bit?

> As I said, select is not (and perhaps will never be) supported in
> sockets2.c.

I would disagree to the 'never will be'! And I also have the (far future-)
goal of replacing sockets.c with sockets2.c (without changing the name, of
course and after being thoroughly tested!)

Going back to the original discussion, we have two points here:
- replacing 'int' by a pointer casted to int: by now, I favour not to do
this, since it doesn't work for all cases and we might to have to change it
later if we want to implement select.
- OS integration: I think it would help to extend LWIP_POSIX_SOCKETS_IO_NAMES
to not define all functions that are used both for sockets and files, so the
user needs to implement a little wrapper function for them.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6994>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/