lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6735] Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY

From: Jared Grubb
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6735] Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 18:26:10 +0000

> I'd like to know how other stacks (that are advertising zero-copy) solve
this... Although this seems a problem only for the sockets layer, a netconn
app can use the new pbuf type.

I was reading the KAME IPv6 (the BSD IPv6 code) implementation book, and I
remember it saying packets are copied upon coming into the socket API.

For us, this would make sense too.... copy as early as possible (if
necessary) and make the stack itself 100% zero-copy. Then, we must only have
special checks along the interface to the application. Network layer and lower
(IP, ARP, driver, etc) would always assume zero-copy, whereas transport layer
makes the conversions.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6735>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/