lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #21433] Calling mem_free/pbuf_free from interrupt cont

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #21433] Calling mem_free/pbuf_free from interrupt context isn't safe
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:49:23 +0000

I have to admit I'm a bit uneasy about increasing the amount of stuff that we
support from interrupt context because in many cases doing this sort of thing
from interrupt context is a bad idea.  There are cases (perhaps like the one
that prompted this) where it helps, but by adding support we make it tempting
for people to write bad code.

I pretty much agree with Simon in comment#5.  i.e. all of the suggestions
have their merits but none is ideal.  If Jonathan can persuade Simon that
SYS_ARCH_PROTECT is OK then that would be a relatively simple change I think.

Simon - can you clarify your objection?  I like the list-postponement as that
avoids doing it at interrupt time, but the extra code and overhead to support
this might be too much for a rarely necessary feature. With it not working for
all APIs and NO_SYS we'd need something else as well.

Either way, I think this is best left till after 1.3.0 otherwise we'll never
get it out.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?21433>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/