lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] TCP MSS question

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] TCP MSS question
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 14:23:06 +0100

Kieran Mansley schrieb:
On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 19:19 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
Two questions about our TCP implementation:

- RFC 1122 says TCP should send with an MSS of "536 if no MSS option is received" (chapter 4.2.2.6). We send with our configured TCP_MSS instead. Since even Windows sends with 536 (btw: what does linux do?), we should maybe change our code to meet the RFC?

Yes, I think we should change to use a max of 536 in those cases.  It's
perhaps a bit out dated for local area networks, but can still make
sense when running over longer links.
That was exatcly my point of view, too.
- tcp_parseopt() doesn't allow a send MSS (advertised by the remote side) to be larger than the configured TCP_MSS. Is this included in order to configure memory usage or does it have other reasons?

I'm happier leaving that one as it is, as I suspect it does make
configuring memory usage simpler if we can know in advance what the
upper limit will be on received segments.
Didn't want to change that, only asking questions :)
And the answer is what I thought, too, so I'm OK with it, of course.

Simon