lwip-devel

RE : [lwip-devel] RE: [lwip-commits] contrib/apps/sntp sntp.c sntp.h

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: RE : [lwip-devel] RE: [lwip-commits] contrib/apps/sntp sntp.c sntp.h
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:53:47 +0100

>With all the new apps in the contrib directory, shouldn't we clearly separate
>them to show which API they are using?

If we provide two files for the same "sample", we can separate them. But I
don't like the idea to have two apps with the same "name" but with differents
function levels (like httpserver and httpserver_raw, the second is more
interesting than the first one, even if in both cases, they can't be really
used, or just for demo, or just for reporting needs).

>After all didn't we decide earlier this year that socket applications
>shouldn't go into the repo as they are not lwIP specific but socket-specific?

Perhaps I miss that (or I forgot), but I don't share this point of view. First,
the oldest contrib/apps is "chargen", based on socket API. Next, I think we
could provide sample/apps for all layers, as long they are maintained (and I
will do for those I add). Adding such "apps" can also provide a test framework
for the code.

Last, such apps provide some basic functions that "lot" (?) of users can need
(those I add have been already asked). I think there is two kinds or protocols:
some basic protocols like dns, syslog, or dyndns are SMALLS and can be USEFUL
functions and could be added, but some others protocols shouldn't (I think to
high level protocols like CIFS, RTP, SIP, LDAP... which are too SPECIFICS or
too BIGS). It's true, there is several sites where you can already find sockets
applications code. But I think it's a good service to provide to users to
propose these small protocols directly on lwIP contrib.

So, take a look to current contrib repository. If we try to "define" these
applications characteristics, we have:

- chargen: socket api based, used only for tests, but can be used like this
(but since it's not used on any contrib buildable port, I'm not sure)
- netio: raw api based, used only for tests, but can be used like this

- httpserver: netconn api based, used for demo or need big changes to be useful
(no "dynamic" pages or cgi support)
- httpserver_raw: raw api based, used for demo or need big changes to be useful
(no "dynamic" pages or cgi support)

- netbios: raw api based, can be used with any target used on a "Windows" LAN
(perhaps same for linux?), but can be used like this (some @todo)
- ping: raw api based XOR socket api based, used only for tests or need little
changes to be useful (I will do this evening)
- sntp: socket api based, can be used like this.

Are you in favor to remove "chargen" and "sntp" ? I'm ok for "chargen", but I
think "sntp" could stay (I will perhaps add a raw api alternative).

Frédéric BERNON
HYMATOM SA
Chef de projet informatique
Microsoft Certified Professional