lwip-devel

RE : [lwip-devel] RE: [lwip-commits] contrib/apps/sntp sntp.c sntp.h

From: Goldschmidt Simon
Subject: RE : [lwip-devel] RE: [lwip-commits] contrib/apps/sntp sntp.c sntp.h
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:43:04 +0100

>With all the new apps in the contrib directory, shouldn't we clearly
separate them to show which API they are using?

I meant creating multiple directories in contrib/apps (e.g.
contrib/apps/socket/, contrib/apps/netconn, contrib/apps/raw) and put
the applications we already have in the right directory.

> - ping: raw api based XOR socket api based, used only for tests or
need little changes to be useful (I will do > this evening)

What does 'raw api based XOR socket api based' mean? I didn't really
take a look at the code yet...

> - sntp: socket api based, can be used like this.
>
> Are you in favor to remove "chargen" and "sntp" ? I'm ok for
"chargen", but I think "sntp" could stay (I will
> perhaps add a raw api alternative).

While a test application is a must to test that socket API works on a
new host/port, adding normal applications that are ready to use will
result in the need to maintain them as more and more users will use them
if they work. And that's exactly what Kieran was talking about, and why
the old ports were removed. I think the main focus of the repository
should be on the lwIP core. But as long as you maintain the apps you
include, that's fine with me, of course!!

Simon