lwip-devel

RE : [lwip-devel] 1.3.0

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: RE : [lwip-devel] 1.3.0
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:40:28 +0100

I really would like to got a 1.3.0 release (my feeling is that lwIP release
time was too long between 1.2.0 and "1.3.0", of course, there was lot of
changes, but in a general way, I would be in favor of shorter release time).
But before release it, some records should be closed. Here the full list (hope
it will be readable), with MY point of view (it's not like this in the
bugtracker).

TASKS
 #7421   Implement SO_RCVBUF
       1.3.0
 #7410   Don't include internal headers in api header files
       1.3.0
 #7244   Add sys_arch_ticks/jiffies in sys_arch
       post-1.3.0
 #7235   Create timeout framework for NO_SYS=1
       1.3.0
 #7212   Add Mutex concept in sys_arch
       post-1.3.0
 #7040   Work on tcp_enqueue
       post-1.3.0
 #7017   Implement DNS client
       1.3.0
 #7013   Create option to have all packets delivered to netif->output in one
piece     post-1.3.0
 #6995   Implement SO_REUSEADDR
       post-1.3.0
 #6969   Review usage of conn->err in netconn layer
       1.3.0
 #6930   Implement SO_LINGER
       post-1.3.0
 #6881   Create option to leave header fields in host byte order
       post-1.3.0
 #6849   Test how checksum on copy could be integrated into the stack
       post-1.3.0
 #6735   Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY
       post-1.3.0
 #6683   Document lwIPs thread safety requirements
       could be closed (doc is an infinite task)
 #1551   Make ARP more independent of interface hardware type
       post-1.3.0
 #1549   lwIP function documentation
       could be closed (doc is an infinite task)

BUGS
 #7040   Work on tcp_enqueue
 #21535  Retransmit Timer in SYN_SENT state
       post-1.3.0
 #21494  TCP pcb->mss should be 536 if no MSS option received
       1.3.0
 #21492  TCP MSS can be larger than MTU
       post-1.3.0
 #21491  TCP MSS sent is based on the received MSS option
       1.3.0
 #21433  Calling mem_free/pbuf_free from interrupt context isn't safe
       post-1.3.0
 #21099  Request getting lost/unanswered in lwip stack [bug #20640]
       post-1.3.0 (is it invalid or not?)
 #21049  Allow reuse of pbufs after return from APIs
       post-1.3.0
 #20900  Potential crash error problem with netconn_peer & netconn_addr
       1.3.0
 #20779  Keep-Alive and SYNs
       post-1.3.0
 #20515  TCP delayed ack does not work as expected
       post-1.3.0
 #20511  No persist timer
       post-1.3.0
 #20287  tcp_output_nagle sends too early
       post-1.3.0
 #20199  TCP appears to be "Shrinking the Window"
       post-1.3.0
 #20155  select() with errorfd set
       post-1.3.0
 #19927  DHCP NACK problem
       post-1.3.0
 #19699  Bug in SNMP ASN1 decode; submitted patch
       post-1.3.0
 #13315  PPP PAP authentication can result in erroneous callbacks
       post-1.3.0
 #3031   Implement a new fully pool-based pbuf implementation.
       Isn't it done???

PATCHS
 #6253   Added csum to struct pbuf.
       post-1.3.0
 #5628   #17726 PPP: memory wasting with every reconnection by pppClose/SIG
       post-1.3.0

Most of tasks/bugs I think we should integrate in 1.3.0 are already in
progress. Once again, it's my point of view.

In a flat view, I think we can group all these records like this:

"TCP"
 #21535  Retransmit Timer in SYN_SENT state
 #21494  TCP pcb->mss should be 536 if no MSS option received
 #21492  TCP MSS can be larger than MTU
 #21491  TCP MSS sent is based on the received MSS option
 #21494  TCP pcb->mss should be 536 if no MSS option received
 #21099  Request getting lost/unanswered in lwip stack [bug #20640]
 #20779  Keep-Alive and SYNs
 #20515  TCP delayed ack does not work as expected
 #20511  No persist timer
 #20287  tcp_output_nagle sends too early
 #20199  TCP appears to be "Shrinking the Window"

"pbufs&driver"
 #6735   Provide new pbuf type: PBUF_RAM_NOCOPY
 #7013   Create option to have all packets delivered to netif->output in one
piece
 #6849   Test how checksum on copy could be integrated into the stack
 #6253   Added csum to struct pbuf
 #3031   Implement a new fully pool-based pbuf implementation

"sys_arch"
 #7244   Add sys_arch_ticks/jiffies in sys_arch
 #7212   Add Mutex concept in sys_arch

"API"
 #7421   Implement SO_RCVBUF
 #7235   Create timeout framework for NO_SYS=1
 #7017   Implement DNS client
 #6995   Implement SO_REUSEADDR
 #6969   Review usage of conn->err in netconn layer
 #6930   Implement SO_LINGER
 #20900  Potential crash error problem with netconn_peer & netconn_addr
 #20155  select() with errorfd set

"Doc"
 #6683   Document lwIPs thread safety requirements
 #1549   lwIP function documentation

"Task,code in long long stand by"
 #6881   Create option to leave header fields in host byte order
 #1551   Make ARP more independent of interface hardware type
 #19927  DHCP NACK problem
 #5628   #17726 PPP: memory wasting with every reconnection by pppClose/SIG

Last, for the release number, I'm in favor of 'lwIP 1.3.0'

Frédéric BERNON
HYMATOM SA
Chef de projet informatique
Microsoft Certified Professional