lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] 1.3.0

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] 1.3.0
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:49:37 +0000

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 22:58 +0100, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> Kieran,
>
> when did you plan to move on to 1.3.0? There are a couple of bugs
> open that are planned for 1.3.0, most of them are issues in the TCP
> part.
>
> As I don't see me having plenty of time to fix TCP bugs for the next
> months (since I have a 'real job', hehe - unfortunately, I'd love to
> work on those), I'd love to see 1.3.0 without the TCP fixes just to
> get a new release out with the numerous fixes 1.3.0 would include
> compared to 1.2.0!
>
> There are so many people asking for a new version (and 'stable CVS'
> versions) I think we should leave TCP bugs open for after 1.3.0.
> (I'll promise to work on them some time...).
>
> What do you all think?

I agree that it's been too long since the last release, but that alone
is not a good enough reason to force out the new one.  Part of the
reason for gating the release on some of the bugs being fixed is that
otherwise they will never get fixed as no one will find the time to do
it.  I have personally been very short of lwIP-time recently, and while
I don't see that improving much in the future (like you, work and family
take priority), I'll try and get some of the bugs resolved.

For example, I have an implementation of the persist timer, but haven't
yet connected it up to the right places in the stack, so there is some
hope of progress.

I'll go through the list of bugs that are preventing 1.3.0 and see if
any can be postponed, but I'm sure there will still be some, so we're
not quite there yet.  Any help to fix these remaining bugs would be much
appreciated.  Part of the problem in managing an open source project
like this is some bugs just get ignored because you're relying on
volunteers, and people quite rightly do the fun, interesting, and things
that affect them first.

Kieran