lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #7490] Add return value to sys_mbox_post

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #7490] Add return value to sys_mbox_post
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:42:11 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: 1.3.0
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

Various bug reports (and my own experience) have shown that a return value
for sys_mbox_post might be useful to show whether the mailbox was full.

I have read on lwIP that (at least one user) has implemented mboxes to wait
for free space when they are full. In most places, this locks up the stack.

Also, if the tcpip-mbox is full, input packets will leak sice noone knows
whether they could be put on the mbox or not. And inside the mbox function,
you don't know what type of element you have so you cannot free it safely.

To sum it up, I would give sys_mbox_post a true/false return value and assert
in most places, free a pbuf in other places. And I would do it now (pre-1.3.0)
since it is not a big change for us but requires ports to be updated.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7490>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/