lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #21655] DHCP doesn't work reliably with multiple netif

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #21655] DHCP doesn't work reliably with multiple netifs
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:33:17 +0000

The first patch looks good, thanks (although I can't test it :-| ).

> BTW: ip_input could be sped up if checking for DHCP_CLIENT_PORT
> before walking the netif list (second file).

Uh, don't you have this the wrong way round? It will make DHCP faster, but
everything else slower because it will be doing the partial packet decoding
and checks every time for every packet.

DHCP is a very infrequent event, and everything else should be optimised.

> Next, it would be good to prevent user-applications to bind to
> DHCP_CLIENT_PORT when LWIP_DHCP is enabled, but there's no way
> of knowing whether the pcb belongs to dhcp.c or a user app in
> udp_bind :-(

I don't think we should worry about this. It would have to be a very
deliberate act, so may even be intentional. I wouldn't think it would be good
to add code to prevent something that's most likely to be irrelevant, and if
anyone did do it, it's probably no a coincidence, and so they would have to
remove the check!

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?21655>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/