lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Does multicast setsockopt() support IP_MULTICAST_LOOP?

From: Frédéric BERNON
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Does multicast setsockopt() support IP_MULTICAST_LOOP?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:53:51 +0200

Got IP_MULTICAST_LOOP defined in sockets.h is just to have a source code compatibility. This is not only this option, some others are used like this. EAFNOSUPPORT return value can be used to know at run-time if the option is really supported. Of course, in all cases, if your application MUST HAVE this option, you have a problem, and you need to implement this option. I'm not sure this option will be implement in the near future...

Just a sample of MSDN documentation about the difference between Winsock & Unix for this option:

Note The Winsock version of the IP_MULTICAST_LOOP option is semantically different than the UNIX version of the IP_MULTICAST_LOOP option: a.. In Winsock, the IP_MULTICAST_LOOP option applies only to the receive path. b.. In the UNIX version, the IP_MULTICAST_LOOP option applies to the send path. For example, applications ON and OFF (which are easier to track than X and Y) join the same group on the same interface; application ON sets the IP_MULTICAST_LOOP option on, application OFF sets the IP_MULTICAST_LOOP option off. If ON and OFF are Winsock applications, OFF can send to ON, but ON cannot sent to OFF. In contrast, if ON and OFF are UNIX applications, ON can send to OFF, but OFF cannot send to ON.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chu, Zhenwei" <address@hidden>