lwip-devel

Re: RE : [lwip-devel] Mercurial

From: Simon Kallweit
Subject: Re: RE : [lwip-devel] Mercurial
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:35:53 +0100

Frédéric BERNON wrote:
I have a preference for SVN (just for the possibility to rename/move items without commit history lost).

I would definitely prefer SVN over CVS too, it just makes our lives a bit easier. Does anyone still work with CVS for your own projects???

I don't know Mercurial, but if you find a way to not lost the commit history, I
will not have any objections.

The real gain with mercurial is that local branching is really easy. If you implement a new feature, just create a new branch. Working on different fronts is getting a lot easier with that. Also, developers without CVS write access can work with a VCS during development of new features or bugfixes. Branches can then simply be merged with the trunk when the time is right. Mercurial, as it is a local VCS, also lets you work offline, and most operations are blazingly fast.

I would prefer Mercurial over git as it has currently better Windows support. I'm a linux user myself, but I guess there are quite a few Windows users among lwIP.

Simon