lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Mercurial... or GIT

From: Alain M.
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Mercurial... or GIT
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:37:38 -0200

Simon Kallweit escreveu:
> The real gain with mercurial is that local branching is really easy.
> If you implement a new feature, just create a new branch. [...]

Isn't that the cas with GIT too?

It's the case with all DVCS, so yes, it's also the case with git. I don't yet have much experience with git though, so I favored for mercurial, which I think will become pretty widespread over time.

I don't have much experience with VCS, except a litttle with SVN...

But I have come to the imprression that things are divided in two:

1) before GIT: lots of alternatives were emerging, as none was not good enough in many different aspects 2) after GIT: there is a good enough DVCS and as better interfaces begun to spring, more and more projects are migrating to GIT.

Probably GIT is the one with the biggest growth of all VCS ;-)

Genarally, in the Open Source world, many projects get stuck because of too few mantainers (see Slakware for one). Another aspect is that the Mercurial people may have a good importing tool from CVS, mut most probably no-one will have a good importing tool FROM Mercurial. So IMHO there is a distinct possibility of getting stuck in Mercurial... Bazaar could only be ok because Canonical was using it...

Alain