lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"

From: Alain M.
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 20:53:17 -0200

Micael (abc) escreveu:

The present sockets API is only really there as a way for people to port
existing code for less effort. It's not a great choice for writing
something new.

Interesting! Is that the boiled down truth? I was about to use lwip for my
new project, which will not use anything but socket interface!! While I
can certainly understand the need for something lighter in a few
particular places, I would never consider using anything but sockets for a
new project myself. I guess I'll be heading back to Interniche if that is
the case.
Well, I guess better hearing this now, than later, so thanks for that
insight!

Don't over-react!!! I believe that what he is saying is compatibility with *existing* applications. Lwip seems to have sockets that are veeeery compatible, just not 100% to the point of taking an old application and making it run with zero patch...

Please correct me somone if I am wrong.

Alain