lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:57:27 +0100

> > new project myself. I guess I'll be heading back to Interniche if that is
> > the case.

Interniche is not that different from lwIP: if you use the standard socket
functions, it has the same performance problems (copying too often, etc.). It
has non-standard versions though where you can directly pass zero-copy buffers,
much like the lwIP netconn API, but more integrated into the socket API.

That's the way I wanted to design socket2, too and get rid of the netconn API
in the long run (but that's only _my_ idea, for now).

Don't get Jifl wrong: lwIP's socket API is not unstable, buggy or unsupported.
Sockets are definitively not the way to go if you want to get high performance!
With any stack, even Interniche! But that doesn't keep the lwIP socket API
being usable (and without problems, for me) for applications that shall be
portable for the future. The downside is you don't get the highest performance
your target could get.

Simon
--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a