lwip-devel

RE: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"

From: bill
Subject: RE: [lwip-devel] brain storming about "socket2"
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:28:31 -0500

> I guess I'll be heading back to Interniche if that is the case.

Did you benchmark the two stacks?  Perhaps a definitive performance benchmark
is the way to make this choice.  I had to make this choice and chose lwIP even
though I have to develop the Altera TSE port (no one seems to have done it).
The port is difficult because the hardware API is married to the Interniche
stack (the HAL APIs use Interniche data structures) and Interniche is married
to uC-OS/2 (delete uC-OS/2 in the IDE and it deletes Interniche too).  Most
reports have it that the "SUPERLOOP" mode doesn't work.  I'm not using sockets
and NO_SYS (using a cooperative tasking system instead) and counting on the
lower level lwIP implementation being more efficient.  If I'm correct and it
is, why wouldn't lwIP sockets be more efficient than Interniches?

If I have time to benchmark, I will, but it's not apples to apples.

Maybe Jifl can clarify the statement he made because it does sound shocking.

Bill