lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Is there any interest in an inlined IP checksum compile-tim

From: bill
Subject: [lwip-devel] Is there any interest in an inlined IP checksum compile-time option?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:33:09 -0500

Ive found (on just one target) that inlining the IP checksum yields from 1.25 to 1.5% more throughput transmitting packets. Since the compiler already touches the 16 (u16_t) words and can sum in a register variable, the additional code isnt much more compared to the function call plus htons that is used currently (the inline sum works out to be in network order which may be true only on a little endian processor).  The offset word is always 0 and can be skipped.  I did this inlining is only in the ip_output_if function.  I know its not much, but its wasted processor time nonetheless.

Bill