lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Allocation of memp pools

From: bill
Subject: [lwip-devel] Allocation of memp pools
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:38:16 -0500

I have a need to create the memp pools in their own individual arrays so that I can move some of the arrays to different memory types.  I believe there can be significant performance gains by placing PBUF_REF/ROM in SRAM (or even on chip RAM) for systems using zero-copy Maybe some overhead would be saved because each pool is just offset from 0 and not its position in the total block of memory (which I believe memp_tab holds).  I havent dug in too deeply yet.

Has this been looked at (is it perhaps entered as a task)?  Is this possible or will I be wasting time to try to make this fit.  It *looks* like it will require macro changes in memp_std.h to create the individual arrays but I suspect its not as simple as this.

Do you think we can pass into the macro the syntax for placing the array in its own section.  GCC is a common compiler and I suspect supporting its __attribute__ syntax would be a start.  Other compilers may require something else or even changes to memp.c to change sections.  This could be done with a set of section #defines which expand to nothing to omit including the __attribute__.

Is there any interest in a patch to do this?

Bill