lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] netconn/socket: converting len argument to size_t

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] netconn/socket: converting len argument to size_t
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 14:20:19 +0100

bill wrote:
-----Original Message-----
No, since tcp_pcb->snd_buf is an u16_t (like Jacob wrote in his last
mail), 64k-1 is the limit. I was only speaking of *if* that was
possible, one needed to change tcp_write, but without that, changing
tcp_write to accept an u32_t is not necessary.

Simon

Why not simply make it unsigned so that it follows the native processor
register size for the given platform? Isn't a system really constrained on
memory more likely to have sizeof(unsigned) == sizeof(u16_t) anyway?

Is it really any more efficient to call tcp_write once with a large block of
data versus letting the stack call back to tcp_sent a couple or few times?

Please don't get me wrong: I didn't want to suggest converting the length parameter for TCP to u32_t! For me it's fine like it is now: the other APIs can handle blocks of more than 64K.

However, if someone wanted to use window-scaling there would be many places where the current data types could not be sufficient. Personally, I don't think that fits into the current lwIP strategy of 'lw'...

I guess the idea of converting variables to native size could have a positive impact on code size in many places, but the code also gets less testable if the size of a data type is unknown.

Simon