lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #6745] Ethernet interface drivers for CS8900A, MCF52

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #6745] Ethernet interface drivers for CS8900A, MCF5223x
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:38:35 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, patch #6745 (project lwip):

> It's probably a question of balance: a small number of
> high-quality ports/drivers vs. a large number of lower-quality
> ports/drivers.

That's exactly the point. I also like the prefab ports for the micrium OS
(already used them), but they have an OS to sell, what we don't, so they have
the time and money to change all the ports when the API changes.

In fact, the real point is not to have high-quality code but to ensure a
driver that is in contrib really works. And b) includes re-testing the driver
really works after changing an lwIP API (like in ethernetif.c 1.112 between
lwIP 1.2.0. and 1.3.0). These can be simpler changes that can be reviewed
while compiling or more complex things which require testing it with real
hardware. Kieran's policy is kind of strict here (only add code where someone
steps up as an active maintainer), and I must say I agree: there can be other
places on the web (lwIP wiki) were drivers/ports for a specific version can be
hosted - CVS gives the impression of being up to date, which is isn't if not
maintained.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6745>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/