lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #25608] Unable to use NO_SYS=1 and SYS_LIGHTWEIGHT_PRO

From: Jim Pettinato
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #25608] Unable to use NO_SYS=1 and SYS_LIGHTWEIGHT_PROT=1
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:30:41 +0000

>Kieran, if protection isn't NO_SYS dependent, doesn't it make sense to move
the protection #defines outside of the #if NO_SYS #else #endif group
entirely?

I believe they already are outside of this group.

>At the top of sys.h, I don't understand why not add #include "sys_arch.h"
for both cases of NO_SYS. The system requirements in sys.h should bring in any
architecture requirements or overrides for both cases. sys_arch.h should take
care of its NO_SYS business.

I think the point of the lightweight protection scheme was to allow the stack
to support ISR-based drivers without requiring the features of a full-blown OS
(queues, mailboxes, semaphores). I am not sure it makes much sense to
implement a scheme for SYS_LIGHTWEIGHT_PROT with NO_SYS=0, but it isn't
prevented currently that I can see.

In theory anyway, the sys_arch.h header represents only the OS interface
portion of the architecture (there is also cc.h and cpu.h for the other
vagaries of your target). I can understand the reasoning behind not including
sys_arch.h if you have no OS.

Bottom line - there is one issue that could easily be cleaned up...  the
comment in the SYS_ARCH_DECL_PROTECT section of sys.h indicates that the type
of the protection variable can be overridden in sys_arch.h - which is not true
when lightweight protection is most likely to be used (when NO_SYS=1). Maybe
the comment should be changed?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?25608>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/