lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #7506] NAT support for lwIP

From: Christian Walter
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #7506] NAT support for lwIP
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:55:55 +0000

Hello,

Since I would like to continue working I would like to discuss the design
questions a bit more.

 - I am planning to use a hash algorithm to avoid searching the linked lists
for NAT entries. Are there some existing hash maps in lwIP I have not seen or
in contrib? Would the additional code for a hash map be okay?

 - If we have the has map we could create the hash from the source, dest,
port, dest and protocol. We could then use a single hash table for all nat
entries similar to the already existing ones. I did not like the old version
which tried to put everything into one struct since it was not extensible.

 - We have not talked about the ip fragmentation issues and I am not aware of
the problems. I think basically using the existing code in some form would be
okay. And a soon as the paket has been reassembled we would then pass it to
the NAT.

 - Is there any ip fragmentation code available? We would need this if we
route pakets between interfaces with different MTUs. n this case lwIP would
need to fragment.

 - What about the configuration interface? Is something I used in this
example code okay - See ip_nat_init. The final version will of course allow
multiple nat sources.

 - I will change the license of the code as soon as we are finished because
we want to get this into the core since we will be using this code in a
product.

Thanks for feedback,
  Christian

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7506>