lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] RE: contrib/apps/chargen chargen.c

From: David Empson
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] RE: contrib/apps/chargen chargen.c
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:54:58 +1300

"Bill Auerbach" <address@hidden> wrote:
You're right, it was a stupid suggestion.

The comment about your compiler not supporting C++ comments doesn't fit if
it's a platform that could never use lwIP (because the processor doesn't or
couldn't support it or Ethernet for whatever reason).

We are using Ethernet on that platform (ST9), but indirectly via a Rabbit coprocessor. In principle it could support Ethernet directly but we decided to change to another processor (M32C) rather than continue to fight with the ST9's bank switching.

Someone could say "Well I use the PowerPC and am using a 1995 compiler...". Sure, ok. I was thinking if the device supports Ethernet, chances are its compiler would be later and support C++ comments. You're right though - it's not worth it.

I was unable to find when C++ comments were added to GCC.  I do know some
parts of the standard were added to the standard because they were widely
supported by compilers, and GCC tended to support proposed C features long
before other compiler authors did.  I was going to guess that C++ comments
were added in the early 90's if not late 80's.

I would guess they were supported when C++ support was implemented, but I don't know when that happened. It is possible that the first implementations may have limited C++ comments to C++ source files, until someone suggested they also be supported in plain C.