lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] latest stable version

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] latest stable version
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:05:05 +0100

Alain Mouette wrote:
Simon Goldschmidt escreveu:
I don't think there will be a 1.3.3 version since I don't have
  >  the time to create an 1.3.2 branch and merge back bugfixes.
  >  And the next CVS HEAD based release will be 1.4.0 since there
  >  have been already some port-breaking changes.

Hum :(
Don't get me wrong: anyone is welcome to use CVS HEAD and to keep up with changes, but using a CVS HEAD checkout as a base for releasing your product comes at the risk described below.
Can there be a set of patches with but description, that can be safely
applied to 1.3.2 for the real bugs ??
Hm, if I created a list of patches and you'd apply them all, that would leave you with the same code as is in CVS, so...

OK, jokes aside, although we use lwIP in my company, the stack is mainly a leisure project. And since (unfortunately *g*) noone pays me for the work on it, I do not plan to put any extra work in extra bugfix releases (as a 1.3.3 version would be). And the 'list of patches' has the same disadvantage as using CVS: you risk using code that is not as broadly tested as a release version (as it is not as broadly used) and thus the possibility that it includes (yet undiscovered) bugs is higher than with a release version. This is not a problem of lwIP but a problem of any software (that doesn't have special resources for anti-bug testing, which is unfortunately the case with most open source projects).

I might not have written this for a while now, but like most open source projects, help is always welcome! And keeping up with CVS HEAD and reporting back bugs found in it is always greatly appreciated, too!
I have little SVN knowledge and no CVS... But this can probably be done
just by listing in the wiki the important patches that you commited (and
if possible testing them)
There is no such thing as patches (in terms of diff files) to be listed: I change the code on my computer and commit it to CVS, that's all. (OK, in some rare cases, I commit a patch supplied by an lwIP user, but that doesn't happen too often.)
Sorry to be bugging you :)
No problem with that. I can understand your need for bug-free software, so sorry for having to turn you down!

Simon