lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Questions / corrections on AutoIP

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: [lwip-devel] Questions / corrections on AutoIP
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:45:24 -0500

In AutoIP.c it mentions that it aims to conform to RFC 3927.  The Wiki says about AutoIP “for IPv4, conform with RFC 3927.

Does it completely conform to RFC 3927?  To me aims to implies it might or might not.  Maybe Im nit picking, but if we mention an RFC it should say it conforms or it is based on.

Also, the Wiki mentions support for Zero configuration networking.

Zero configuration networking is not supported by lwIP.  ZeroConf requires Multicast DNS (as well as mDNS directory services).  Zero configuration is a standard which Windows, MAC OS X and Linux support and is essentially the foundation for Apples Bonjour.  It would be great if lwIP supported ZeroConf, but currently it doesnt.

Just to clarify, AutoIP may be a Microsoft term there is no mention of this term in the RFC.  Buts it way shorter than “Dynamic Configuration of IPv4 Link-Local Addresses. J They do mention AutoConfiguration a number of times.

Bill