lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] byte order, packing, optimizations

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] byte order, packing, optimizations
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:55:39 +0100

Stéphane Lesage wrote:
Well, I recently documented that on the wiki, but there is still no
documentation for checksum/byte swapping in doc/sys_arch.txt.
Yeah, that could be improved, but I'm an opponent of adding warnings where we only give a hint to optimization: the code as it is works perfectly well - on platforms where performance isn't the main goal, there's no need to issue a warning! Also, not everyone has the possibility to generate a LWIP_PLATFORM_BYTESWAP macro that is really faster than the default C code we have.
Can we also create a new cc.txt file to separate processor architecture
and OS ?
Feel free to post your proposals!
BTW, I'll add something about set_errno on the wiki.
About set_errno? What?
These warnings are output only once, so it's not so annoying...
That depends on whether the developer changes something or not. If he decides he is OK with the current status, the warning will be shown with every compilation and warnings==errors doesn't work.
What do you think about choosing checksum algo 2 as default ?
I'm OK with that. But people shouldn't rely on that as it's a very crucial function regarding performance and on most platforms can be improved by writing an assembler version.

Simon