lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Possible DHCP problem or bug?

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: [lwip-devel] Possible DHCP problem or bug?
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:55:20 -0500

I dont want to submit this as a bug until others voice their ideas  based on their knowledge of DHCP and agree that it is.

I have built lwIP with DHCP enabled.  Im running in a static IP mode meaning dhcp_start wasnt called and netif_set_ipaddr is called with an address.  I have done this and connected on a network (with a DHCP server) that had a PC already at the same DHCPP assigned address as the static lwIP address.  I get the duplicate IP address bubble from Windows XP.  A few seconds later when I query my lwIP device to get its IP address, it has been changed to another IP address.

I would expect without calling dhcp_start that my devices IP address would not change.  It wont communicate, sure, but I dont expect it to be changed so that it can communicate unless I had called dhcp_start.  I do not know what happens if the PC is turned on second.  I can check that as well, but I think already the current behavior is not what it should be.

Thanks,

Bill