lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #10446] DHCP extensions for AutoIP

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #10446] DHCP extensions for AutoIP
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 20:15:31 +0000

I'm not against such changes, only I didn't fully understand it ;-)

Anyway, for my current project, we can't really rely on AutoIP *or* fallback
to static: We have a configuration application that can find and configure a
device with any IP configuration (via broadcasts). This is used at the time of
configuring the site, only.

Later, the communication application is configured with IP addresses only, so
any kind of fallback (either to AutoIP or to a static IP) means communication
failure. The only way out here would be some kind of name service, but that
either only works on one subnet (or "broadcast domain", rather), or it needs a
central server.

This is only my explanation why I can't benefit from such a fallback. Still,
if it doesn't blow the code too much, it might be a nice feature...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?10446>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/