lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #31367] Cannot send a UDP datagram to a different vali

From: Bill Auerbach
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #31367] Cannot send a UDP datagram to a different valid subnet
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 12:23:24 +0000

Even having ip_current_netif doesn't get me there because udp_sendto_if still
won't send out without the ARP entry.

>Replying to UDP packets would be nice

Well, replying to UDP packets for me is a requirement, so I'll find a way.
Anyone who needs to work with an existing discovery protocol and needs to do
this will also be stuck.  Besides the fact that it makes sense to be able to
do this - why broadcast out a reply to the whole subnet to get to the one node
that sent the broadcast looking for that one node?

I also think that a broadcast can make an ARP entry up to the point that
doing so has to remove an entry that is current (how current needs to be
resolved).  Then broadcast flooding won't replace ARP entries for active
non-broadcast ARP entries.  This can also be something users turn on (compile
time or runtime).  Most embedded devices are behind a router and not subjected
to a lot of broadcasts.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?31367>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/