lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] RE: IPv6 development status

From: Ivan Delamer
Subject: [lwip-devel] RE: IPv6 development status
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:36:16 -0600 (MDT)

Bill,

Mapping IPv6 addresses to IPv4 addresses is an interesting v6 transition
approach, however this suggests that LwIP should be a native IPv6 stack
with legacy support for IPv4. I don't think this is what most users would
like, so I think we need to find a different approach to coexistence.

Another interesting feature of IPv6 is that an interface can (and usually
does) have multiple addresses. I think that any implementation should
allow for a variable number of addresses, and that if IPv6 is disabled at
compile time, it shouldn't have an impact on memory use e.g. of a netif
struct.

Cheers
Ivan