lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] LWIP and LWIPv6 projects

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] LWIP and LWIPv6 projects
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:21:11 +0100

Kieran Mansley wrote:
On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 16:48 -0500, Bill Auerbach wrote:
It may well be more effort to merge than to add IPv6 to the current
code
base.  (merge_time - IPv6_time_saved>  current_release +
IPv6_time). :-)
I agree, and I think the result of a merge is likely to be not as good
(for lwIP) as implementing IPv6 for lwIP from scratch (as Ivan's doing).
That's probably true, as well as the problem that IPv6/mixed seems to be the main target.

Anyway I didn't really mean to copy the IPv6 implementation from LWIPv6. Instead, I would very much favour LWIPv6 to use our source code without changes (as a pure library - at least the core functions maybe) to make sure any bugs found there are fixed for us, too (and the other way round, too, of course). The main work for this would be on the LWIPv6 side, but we might have to change some things, too. It might even not work at all if it pushes the code away from targeting embedded systems.

As a starter for IPv6 on lwIP, I do favour the from-scratch-method (and I appreciate Ivan's efforts in that!).

Simon