lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] IPv6 support

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] IPv6 support
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:46:28 +0100

"Kudat KARA" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am not sure if this list is the proper place to post but please find my
> comments.

You might want to add your comments to the patch entry
(https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7409), which should be a central point for
discussion until the code is added to CVS.

> 2. Not related to ipv6 but a general issue, tcp_input function of
> tcp_in.c.
> If an out of sequence RST or FIN message is received when there is no open
> socket, Lwip allocates a new socket.

I don't see that. At the place you meant to add new code, lwIP searches the
listen-pcbs. If it finds one, tcp_listen_input() will be called; if it doesn't
find one, it simply returns (maybe sending a RST on line 417). If
tcp_listen_input() is called this function also only sends a RST or does
nothing if the packets has no SYN flag set.

To me, your code is simply an optimiziation of code path that is not often
taken at the drawback of adding more code.

> As ipv6 is an ongoing development and more pathces are to follow, I hope
> you
> might consider to keep it as a branch to be merged later.

I think we wanted to add it to HEAD right after 1.4.0 is finally released.
Adding a branch seems like work which noone volunteers to do, currently :-)

> Applying patches
> in windows environment is very time consuming (patch of GNU toolset for
> windows is not locating directories properly).

Have a look at TortoiseCVS (http://www.tortoisecvs.org/), which makes creating
and applying patches quite easy.

Simon