lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #33128] Socket send() and sendto() do not use bound in

From: Ken MacKay
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #33128] Socket send() and sendto() do not use bound interface.
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 21:33:59 +0000

OK. You are correct that we have a bad routing setup issue.

In our case we actually have two interfaces that can access the Internet (in
addition to the one that only talks to things on the local network); one goes
over a landline (may not be connected) and the other goes over a satellite
connection (which is always available, but has very high latency/cost). So
when we send a packet to the internet over the landline interface, we want to
make sure that it doesn't actually get sent over the satellite connection.
Similarly, if the landline is not present, we don't want to try to send over
it.

It seems like the correct solution would be to set the default interface based
on whether or not the landline is available.

I guess lwIP doesn't have a SO_BINDTODEVICE ioctl right now; I guess that is
sort of what we implemented (for the sending half). Maybe that would be
useful?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?33128>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/