lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:15:48 +0100

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 17:29 +0100, Kieran Mansley wrote:

> > I'll let you know when I'm done.  The contrib module might take a
> little
> > while longer as we need savannah admins to create a second
> repository
> > for that.
>
> This is still pending, and I'll probably not get time to sort it out
> till Monday.

And it's still pending.  Looking at the other open savannah bugs I don't
expect this to get sorted out any time soon - there are plenty of things
there that are months old with no action.  So, while I'd like to give
them a bit more time to sort this out, we should think about what to do
with contrib in the mean time:

1) I've already tagged it for conversion to git, so I'd rather not carry
on using CVS while we wait.  I'm hoping that this shouldn't be a problem
as commits to contrib are rare, and usually not urgent.

2) An alternative would be to move all the contrib code into the main
lwIP repository and just have it as a subdirectory.  This might involve
losing all the history on the files in contrib, as I'm not sure how the
git cvs-import command would cope with adding files to an existing
repository.  I'd welcome others views on this as I don't have strong
opinions about maintaining contrib as a separate module.  It was
originally done this way to allow lwIP to be released without bringing
all the code in contrib up to date, but in recent years we've introduced
requirements on code in the contrib module (that they are maintained!)
that should avoid this problem.

Kieran