lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Converting to git
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:18:19 +0200

Wojciech A. Koszek wrote:
I don't know. Typically when I have project "X" I just fetch "X" from
the repository and that's it. When I want FreeBSD, I just fetch one
thing and it works. The same with other projects.
Well, FreeBSD is a ready-to-use product, while lwIP is a library that cannot be used on its own. The 'lwip' and 'contrib' code was originally separated to emphasize this and to prevent implying false assumptions (about the code in contrib). However, I also think that providing an example port (whether it's win32 or unix) is a good idea to help new users having an easy start with lwIP..
Do you use VC++ for this stuff, or maybe Cygwin BTW?
VC++ (Pro at work, Express at home). The project files are still 2005, but I'll upgrade them to 2010 these days.
I have patches to fix some stuff; patches contain comments above the
changes. Patch for contrib/ stuff:

        http://freebsd.czest.pl/~wkoszek/stuff/lwip/lwip/lwip-contrib.1.patch
I've already fixed the unix port in my local copy. It's not unmaintained, I only forgot to adapt it after adding IPv6 support to lwIP (after the 1.4.0 release).
And this is how I had to fix lwIP itself:

        http://freebsd.czest.pl/~wkoszek/stuff/lwip/lwip/lwip.1.patch
 Fixes to make lwIP compile on Ubuntu GNU/Linux:

 - pbuf_free_ooseq() has 'void' as an argument to prevent compiler warning

That's one thing that always slips through as not all compilers warn about this
:-(

   pbuf.c was unhappy due to not knowing about pbuf_free_ooseq() with default
   configuration settings (just typing 'make'), so I had to move
   pbuf_free_ooseq() out of the #ifdef'ed block in pbuf.h.
   This needs reviewing

I don't see what's the problem here: it works for me with the default config in
opt.h and with some other configs I tried.

 - make pbuf_free_ooseq_callback() non-static and put the prototype in pbuf.h
   to stay away from "defined but not used" warning

I changed it to be defined for NO_SYS==0 only.

 - make enum's finish without a comma ","

And another thing that slips through (on my compiler).

Thanks for the patch.

For now I only made contrib/unix/ work. I haven't touched win32.
You shouldn't need to: the win32 works fine for me.

Simon