lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Running lwip stack

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Running lwip stack
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:42:35 +0100

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:10 +0530, Neelakantam Gaddam wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I am knew to lwip stack. I want to run lwip stack in linux system and
> analyze the code flow. I did not find any make file or binary in the
> lwip source for compile run. How can run the lwip stack on x86 linux
> machine. Can anyone help me to run lwip?

lwIP is just a set of source for a TCP/IP stack.  To use it you also
need a application to send/receive data, a driver to interface to the
hardware your using, and probably an OS to support all of this (although
there are ways to use lwIP without an OS).  This is why it doesn't have
a makefile: you have to integrate lwIP into some other larger project
(often referred to as porting lwIP), and so you will naturally have to
use that project's make system.

However, in your case, there is an example of all the above that should
be useful.  In the lwIP contrib module there is an example port to
unix-like systems that will work fine on Linux.  If you download that
and go to contrib/ports/unix/proj there are set of example projects that
you should be able to adapt or use as an example for your own system.

Kieran