lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Putting memp_memory (in core/memp.c) in its own section

From: David Brown
Subject: [lwip-devel] Putting memp_memory (in core/memp.c) in its own section
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:01:17 +0200

Hi,

I've just recently got LWIP working on a new target. LWIP is incredibly portable - once I had an appropriate cc.h file and the drivers written, there was only one change I had to make to the LWIP code itself. Since there may be others having to make a similar change, I was wondering if the change should be made using configurable macros that anyone can use.

The issue is in memp.c, with the definition of memp_memory[]. This is a large block of memory - on some targets (such as the one I'm using), the developer may want to place it in its own memory section rather than the default .bss section. Typically you would do this to put the buffers in slower but larger off-chip memory.

The way to do this varies according to compiler and target - typically you have either pragmas or an "attribute" tag. This could be made flexible by having a macros or #includes before and after the definition (#include's would be needed for some compilers, to allow multiple #pragma lines).

I haven't reported this in the bug tracker, because I first wanted to gauge opinion on it - if no one else is interested in such a change, then there is no need to implement it. For my own part, I've just made the minor changes I needed directly to the memp.c file in my project.

mvh.,

David