lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #34636] FIN_WAIT_2 - Incorrect shutdown of TCP pcb

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #34636] FIN_WAIT_2 - Incorrect shutdown of TCP pcb
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:44:34 +0000

I agree with Simon.  Simply removing the FIN_WAIT_2 state will just create
more problems than it solves.

The timeout from FIN_WAIT_2 is important to avoid a denial of service attack
from the other end, where it could deliberately fail to send a FIN and keep
the connection open forever.

I'd like to understand better what Linux does in this situation...

I can see it has a similar (but three minute) timeout as a result of close
being called:
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.1/net/ipv4/tcp.c#L1997

I think the problem in lwIP is that we are starting the timeout while the app
still has a handle on the socket (i.e. after a shutdown) but we should wait
until they have called close.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?34636>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/