lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Compile error in 1.4.0

From: qxc
Subject: [lwip-devel] Compile error in 1.4.0
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:58:02 +0100

Hi,

I don't know if it is a known problem but I stumbled upon this:

In dhcp.c line 1683 my compiler fails with an error here:

for (i = 0; i < DHCP_CHADDR_LEN; i++) {
  /* copy netif hardware address, pad with zeroes */
  dhcp->msg_out->chaddr[i] = (i < netif->hwaddr_len) ? netif->hwaddr[i] : 0/*
pad byte*/;
}

The reason is clear, DHCP_CHADDR_LEN is defined as 16 while netif->hwaddr[i]
has a maximum length of 6 so this compiler error is quite correct. The
construct "(i < netif->hwaddr_len)" avoids that the array bounds are exceeded
during runtime but what is the strategy to compile this? Wouldn't it be better
to replace this construct by a more secure one the compiler is happy with?

Oxy