lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #35927] missing refragmentaion in ip_forward

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #35927] missing refragmentaion in ip_forward
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:44:58 +0000

> If we can't test before the release we should consider backing
> it out from 1.4.1

As it wouldn't work anyway as it is now (sending a packet bigger than MTU
can't work without a bug in the netif driver...), I personally wouldn't have a
problem with releasing it as it is now...

> I'm a little confused though: in the original report it uses
> netif->mtu to apparently refer to the far end's MTU. Doesn't
> that refer to our MTU?

Doesn't it refer to the MTU of the network the netif (used for sending) is
connected to? If so, where's the difference between 'our MTU' and 'the far
end's MTU'? If there's a router in between, things can of course still fail,
but in that case, the router has to either fragement the packet or inform the
originating host via ICMP.

> And why would we have enqueued something larger than our network's MTU?

We're speaking of forwarding: if the MTU of the target netif is smaller than
the MTU of the source netif, we have to fragment the outgoing packet.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35927>

  Nachricht gesendet von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/