lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] possible contribution - network driver?

From: Colin Nichols
Subject: [lwip-devel] possible contribution - network driver?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:55:00 -0400

Hi all,

I sent this to the users list yesterday; perhaps it's better-suited for this list...

First off, I just want to say that lwIP is pretty cool!

I have a possible contribution... I ported the BSD driver for the Broadcom NetXtreme II cards to my own OS... These are server cards found on many Dell blades and elsewhere throughout the server room. The driver relied on a large number of BSD-specific functions. I pulled these out, reduced them to a minimal set, and moved the function definitions into a couple "sys_arch.c" type files.

The OS-dependent parts are what you'd expect to find for a network driver (DMA memory allocation, watchdog timer creation, PCI access functions, interrupt setup, etc), and again are as minimal as possible. I think think implementation could be handy for others to incorporate with lwIP/their OS.

Some parts of the driver are really rough (especially dealing with the MII bus and PHY) but it's functional (at least for the card I've got, 5709S). I'm working on cleaning it up and expanding support to the other cards in the NetXtreme II line.

Also pbufs aren't integrated into the DMA buffers, so it's not exactly zero-copy. It wouldn't be too difficult to do, though.

I wanted to ask the larger dev group if this would be a useful contribution?

Best regards,
Colin