lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] sockets without threads?

From: Colin Nichols
Subject: [lwip-devel] sockets without threads?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:57:16 -0400

Hi all,

I sent this to the users group yesterday but maybe it's better suited for this list.

----

I've run into a little snag while incorporating lwIP into my microkernel-based OS.

My OS does not support threads or shared memory, only full processes (with separate address spaces). Thus, I cannot use the netconn API, as it is heavily reliant on multiple threads having access to the same address space. And thus, lwIP's implementation of sockets will not work for me; I need a replacement.

For IPC, my OS uses blocking message-passing. Syscalls and calls to drivers are carried out through the message-passing mechanism (similar to Minix, if you're familiar with that).

I have lwIP running in its own process, and I've got a small front-end that receives requests (in the form of IPC messages) and then calls the appropriate lwIP functions. I need a sockets implementation where the recv() request comes in (as an IPC message), some non-blocking action is taken with regards to the recv request (probably using the raw API), and then once the data comes in (or immediately, if it's already there), some callback says "ok, we've got all the data for that receive!" and responds to the recv() request with an IPC message.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm really hesitant to re-implement sockets, but I can't modify my OS at this point and I don't think I have a choice...

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks,
Colin